Thursday, November 13, 2008

When I say coming soon, I mean it!

Yesterday morning, I promised that I would soon be bringing you pics from my work in and around schools in Kwa Zulu-Natal, South Africa. I also said "coming soon", and I meant it. Just about 17 hours later I bring you some photos (there are plenty of awesome pics from the day and more will follow...soon) captured on visits to schools in Kwa Ngcolosi today. That's some fresh pics!!! I have been working through to 1am to bring them to you so you better like them dammit!

The day was a killer hot day, what you would imagine an African summer day to be, resulting in Tom and I receiving a healthy(?) tans.

If you are wondering about the round huts in the last couple of pics, they are called Rondavels (rondavals?) and are traditional round homes often with thatched roofs and sometimes tin. They are really common here and interesting to see inside, I have stayed in them a few times.

Enjoy the pics and please let me know your thoughts.

Dan






















Impromptu portrait of Sabelo, a peer educator. He is one of the top peer educators, earning him a trip to Australia to visit partner schools in Australia.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're awesome! :) Well done, Dan. Captured the emotions very well, and love the very blue sky background!

I only have one comment though - this is something I learn from observation..

If you realised, the sunlight came from one side, thus, one side of the face will be bright and one side slight darker (the shadow of nose, forehead etc) and in some of the photos, you captured the side where the shadow is, so the face becomes dark, whereas others are bright. With people pictures, I particularly put emphasis on the people, so I walk around to find an angle where the face has the most light. :) But that's me! :)

Hope you're well and NICE PHOTOS, Dan!!

Dan said...

Thanks Ehon, glad you liked them!

For sure that is something I will be more conscious of in the future. I find it hard to do when trying to capture intimate moments and it's something that tends to fall by the ways side with my over active trigger finger (which has it's advantages). Definitely something I will be more aware of in post production and at shooting in the future.

Luckily I just learned this new trick using the Elliptical Marquee Tool which can help with this problem ;)

Thanks Bro

Dan